Thursday 26 February 2015

Adding Visual Effects

Today I spent some time playing around with different effects to add to my footage to make it look a little more like a horror film,
 I tried a range such as lightning, texturizing, lens flare and so on. however, none of them look right or fitted in with the theme of my footage. So, instead of trying to add lots of effects and go overboard, I decided to try something simple which was to add a tint to my footage. Now I've tried tints before and they hadn't worked out quite how I wanted to but this time I built it up bit by bit so that I could get the desired effect.

What I did was add a black and white tint and decreased the power to 40% to add a slight decrease in the intensity of the colours. I did this because I feel it fits in well with the mood that I'm trying to portray - sombre.


The tint makes the images ever so slightly duller which I like as it helps to create the dark dull mood whilst also helping to determine the genre of the film. Typically, these form of effects and colours are used in horror films, as they help distort the image and portray a sense of dread for the audience.
Below are more screen shots of the tint where the difference can be seen more clearly.




I play around some more to try and find an effect which will help to disaturate the image more whilst also emphasising the bleak quality.

Until next time,
                          Toni

1 comment:

  1. A few thoughts, Toni
    1. I think it would be more effective to bring the music in at the very start, bedding the idents, although I can see why you can't because of the timing. You might either want to loop the music a bit, or add the original soundtrack back
    2. Your opening shots are not held quite long enough, particularly the first couple - they cut before we get our heads around the location
    3. I think you could possibly play about with the grading a little more - it still looks a little bright and washed out for me. It could do with being a little more desaturated but a little more high contrast
    4. I wouldn't fade out the title. The other credits snap out; it looks better, to my eyes
    5. There is a 180 degree rule break at about 01:14 - you may need to just live with this...

    Otherwise, very good

    ReplyDelete