Friday 13 February 2015

Rough Edit

This post is all about the rough edit of my video which I finished today. This video isn't my final piece by far as it still has to be finely tuned so this is more of a general overview of how I want the video to look like.
 I couldn't upload it onto here so you can find it here on Vimeo instead.

Now to end the video on a happy note, I'll start off with the items I want to change.
 There are a few shots that I'm not that keen on. For example, at 1:13  the tripod was at a funny angle when shooting this shot of her footsteps so it looks like a dutch tilt. I might keep this as a way of distorting the audience but I'm not sure. It'll either be the case of refilming it or just deleting it to cut down on the duration as it's not really important that it has to be in the sequence.
 Also, there are a couple of parts where I've stabilised the footage using a warp stabiliser but it looks like the footage zooms in and out at some parts (0:55 and 1:13 are a prime example). I may just remove the stabiliser as I don't like the effect.
 There are also a few cutaways used which I feel are unnecessary as I only feel the need to use them when there's a continuity error or a jump between two shots that I don't like. For example, 1:28 and 2:36 aren't particularly needed so I'll most likely remove these when I resume with editing.

However, there are a few elements which I particularly like in this edit. First of all, I like how the music works with the clip. Especially the end when it all builds up and ends just as she turns off the light. I feel this works well and I'm glad of the timings. I also like the contrast between the footage and then it flashes to the credits. Originally, they were to mix together so that the credits were playing with the footage but I like the flashing credits better. Also, when the stabiliser works, it works really well and creates a smooth flow rather than shaky footage.
 Personally, for me the best part of the video is from 1:55 onwards as it all ties together and when I showed Alex, she even commented upon the fact that as soon as she enters the house, the dark setting "creates a sense of unease".  I especially like how the footage and credits work, and as the video continues the duration between each credits builds up alongside the music.

Obviously I still have a few things left to do, such as include the voice over and tweak a few edits and shots but so far so good (in my opinion). Anything that needs to be refilmed or changed will be done so within the next couple of weeks so I will be updating every couple of days.

Until next time,
                          Toni

1 comment:

  1. 1. You need to include the Lionsgate ident at the start
    2. Does the Lionsgate credit last as long as the Universal one?
    3. I think you should grade the footage to make it look a little more desaturated and a little higher in contrast, to emphasise the bleak quality
    4. Bruckheimer is known more for action and sci-fi; is he he kind of producer who would be associated with a low-budget thriller? He also has an ident, I believe.
    5. Is Alex's credit on for long enough? The credits need to be roughtly the same length in terms of screen time
    6. You might expect to see "A film by..." credit after the producer credit
    7. It might be worth emboldening either the credit or the name with your production credits, to make them clearer. Good use of official details
    8. I like the shot of the path at about 01:28; in fact, I like most of the camerawork so far
    9. You break the 180 degree rule at 01:35. Alex exits to the right, then enters from the right. You may want to flip this shot to get the right continuity
    10. You could do with more production credits
    11. The shot at 01:34 cuts at an odd place; you could do with this one being slightly more clinically edited so Alex's head isn't cut off.
    12. The format of your music credit is different to your casting credit (which is all on one line). You need to decide which format you're going to use. Also, it may be an optical illusion, but the name seems to be smaller than the role (this may be deliberate?)
    13.It looks to me like there may be a slight continuity error as she goes through the door (the CU implies she is moving forward whilst the subsequent LS has her turning back to shut the door - again, this may just be my imagination...)
    15. The costume designer credit is different to the music credit...!
    16. The special effects credit needs to be tweaked since it flashes in after the black background
    17. The majority of the editing, continiuty and shooting is great - in fact, this is one of the best first edits I've seen, since it's already cusp of L4.

    In answer to your self-analysis:
    I really like the shot at 01:15 (following her); I think the angle works really well
    I honestly couldn't spot the issues you raised with regard to the warp stabliser; the shots looked fine to me
    I really like the cutaway at 01:26; it's just held a little too long
    Similarly the "Keep Out" one is quite good as it creates an enigma for the audience, which is useful in terms of hooking them in

    In terms of adding the voice-over, try it and see if it works. However, I think that the music and the images alone tell an interesting story. Overall, it is a very good piece - well done.

    ReplyDelete