Friday 24 October 2014

The Final Product - The Prisoner

This is it, the final product. After spending weeks, planning, filming and editing, it is finished and now, like any other media professional, I must tear it apart.


I'll start with what I think didn't go so well.
Firstly, the lighting was impossible to get right. I filmed in an area that had too much lighting but I figured I could fix it in editing by adding a few tints here and there which didn't bode well. My original plan was to put a tint on top and it looked great in one shot but I felt it was too blue in the others. I did try and adjust it as much as I could to make it look real. However is was spending too my uh time with the tints that I had to get on with the rest of it. So, instead I just decreased the brightness and upped the contrast which worked well in some scenes but not so well in the others. In one crucial scene there is a pan showing Number Two's back had a knife taped to it which is a crucial fact to show the audience. However, because it's so dark you can't actually see it which makes the whole shot seem pointless - so as a word of advice for my future self, make sure the lighting is perfect when the cameras are out and filming.

 Next is the audio which caused a lot of problems. When close to the camera, the sound is louder and clearer, however, when stood far away, it's very quiet which gives complications for the speaking scene between the two characters in the garage. Number two's voice is very quiet in some parts. There is one part in particular where I'm very close to the camera and I say a line which sounds very loud and almost as if I've dubbed into the video, causing it to sound fake.

Another audio related problem is the audio. I feel it doesn't fit very well with the video. When editing it sounded quiet well, if not a bit loud, but when I adjusted the volume, it seemed all right. However, when watching the video after finishing it, it sounds almost as if I've made a scene that fits in half way through a movie which wasn't what I wanted. My idea was to make it look like it was a part of the opening sequence which is what I'm aiming for when it comes to my video work as it's the main objective of the course. Yet it doesn't feel quiet right to me. I had the sound almost perfect when I first inserted it into the clip and both pieces of music fitted together nicely. However, when I next went to edit the sound had disappeared as I didn't save it onto the work space in my computer which is an error on my side. It sounds to me like it starts too early and sounds as if I've just popped it on top instead of actually converging it with the shots.

 But I digress. There were some good elements about the video (I hope). I liked the way most shots turned out and most flowed together well as well as the composition. The way the conversation flows between the two characters seems good. Generally the first half of the video seems go to me up until the middle where it starts to go a bit downhill, but it is my first scripted piece of work and now that I've fully gotten to grips with the camera and editing software I now know what works and what doesn't.
 The overall process was more difficult than the other two tasks. Filming was a bit of a hassle as when some shots didn't work or plan out the way you wanted to, you had to work with whatever you had. Another thing was that this task involved people acting which lead to some problems of finding people who wanted to take part and actually having them turn up. Two people I asked dropped out which lead to a last minute plan of myself taking their part which will hopefully never happen again. I'm certainly no Kate Winslet and I think this is shown very clearly. Plus, when you're acting in your own video, it's difficult to get the shot perfect as instead of standing behind the camera, you're in front of it too - I don't know how the Hollywood hot shots do it!
 Editing was another part which I didn't think I'd find particularly difficult but I've been proven wrong. It takes a lot of time to get the video looking the way you want it to to and near the end of it I felt I rushed the second half of the video which is why it's lacking a certain quality to it. In the future, I will definitely be spending a lot more time when it comes to editing and making sure it all fits together smoothly. When watching the finished video back for the one hundredth time I only just noticed some continuity errors which I'm still kicking myself about (I swear there are bruises forming). So in the future, I think I'll spend my life editing until it's prefect down to the T.

 Now onto the video itself. The file is too big to insert into this blog post so instead you can watch it on Vimeo here - https://vimeo.com/109942347
Hopefully trhe next scripted project turns out better...
Until next time,
                        Toni

2 comments:

  1. Really impressive criticism here, Toni - very proficient. When you come to do the assessed work, I would suggest breaking up the text with images, and possibly some video as well (for example, some of your paragraphs would work very well as commentaries). One of the thing the moderator is looking for is a range of responses; do make sure that you experiment with different forms of media. Analysis of video to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 00:00 - I like the opening shot, although the intro is a little blunt; I would have faded in both the music and the shot.
    00:15 - It's a little odd to cut between two virtually identical shots, particularly considering the angles (your character is looking from right to left, and then from left to right, which breaks the 180 degree rule). That said, the high-angle shot and the framing are both good. I think if you were trying to mask the identity of the character, a CU on her hands at this point would have been a more effective choice
    00:19 - this is a very effective action match
    00:22 - the music works well - some of the editing to sound here is really successful. Again, I like the framing of this shot
    00:39 - this is a very successful camera-movement; very fluid. I think the only thing I would question is the pan to the door; this would suggest that something is going to come through (unless the moving keys are significant). Because of the fluidity of the movement, I expected that we would see something significant (as the piece continues, I can see why you've done this, although maybe I would have made more of it). I like the way you've framed the shot with the tape; again, this is very effective - mise-en-scene is good
    00:41 - it might be a trick of the light, but the blue cloth on the table appears to have gone pink...! In this case, I think the switching of angles works quite well
    00:51 - interesting cut-away to the bear. Did you do this to mask the slight continiuity issue with the opening of the door (it's open far more in the shot before the bear than it is after; also, the hand is gone). The reveal of the prisoner is effectively framed here - a good piece of planning
    01:11 - fair continuity here with the closing door; very horror movie!
    01:12 - framing is very good here, as is the shot/ reverse shot. There is a slight glitch with the audio between the shot facing you and the reverse to Alex. A similar thing happens at about 01:30. It's worth doing another pass at the audio editing once you've got the timeline assembled; there are ways and means of masking some of these audio glitches
    01:42 - the exchange between 2 and 6 is well framed (good use of angle and framing). Don't knock your acting - it's very good!)
    01:45 - some of the editing here is a little knarly (you cut the beginining of Alex's line "DOn't play games") and there is an odd cut back to you when Alex says "Information" - generally, you wouldn't cut in the middle of a key word - although your reaction is good.
    01:51 - good use of alternative angles here. You maintain continuity and develop the sense of the relationships between the characters
    01:55 - again, some glitchy audio, although I like the camera move here, and the framing, which creates an effective sense of menace
    02:00 - very effective CU here
    02:17 - I can tell you've post-synched here; if you need to do something like this again, it's better to record it in the same space as the original shoot; the ambience on the voice is slightly different. There is a slight continuity glitch when you cut back to yourself, since your mouth should still be moving
    02:31 - I like the ending - very well done. The music kicks in a little abruptly, but it's an effective touch

    Overall, this is a very impressives piece of work, considering it's only your third film. You use a range of shots (mainly between MLS-ECU, admitedly, but your location would not allow for anything longer). Your use of angle and movement is also imaginative and varied. The framing is imaginative and demonstrates that mise-en-scene has been considered. Your editing is generally very good - there were only one or two issues noted. The audio is similarly okay - again, only a few issues noted. The piece as a whole hangs together well and is actually better than some final pieces I have seen. Always good to see Alex act again (and you're not bad yourself). Well done!

    ReplyDelete